Thursday, August 15, 2024

Mud Lake with JC Birding

 August 15, 2024

Lots of warblers, mostly Cape May and Bay-breasted.


Birding Report by Jane Burgess

Going down Britannia Road, I saw two raccoons  cross the road, I had never seen them in the village of  Britannia.  I got to Mud Lake shortly after 7:00, meet up time was at 7:30.  I checked out Mud Lake and all I could see were Wood Ducks and Mallards.  I started walking down Cassel's Road when Ken drove in, at the same time I saw a Black-crowned Night Heron fly over the road.  Ken was in conversation with Richard W. when I pointed out two Baltimore Orioles then Ken pointed out a Tennessee Warbler that turned out to be a Magnolia. It seemed like there were lots of birds around.  Then Carol and Alan joined us, followed shortly by the Bowmans.  It seemed like we were all anxious to bird today, maybe because it was a short birding day.

I said to Ken what is that bird bird at the top of the far tree, he walked quickly down the road for a better view. (He got a better look at the bird a bit later - Merlin).  We took our time looking at those confusing fall warblers.  It would be so much easier if they just stayed the same colour all year round, but too bad, so sad, nature doesn't think about us humans trying to identify birds.  I like going out in the fall and attempting to identify them however the learning process is slow.  Black and White easy; Wilson's Warbler easy, if it stays put that is; Yellow, easy; Yellow-rumped, easy; Tennessee darn difficult; Magnolia and Cape May I mix up; Redstart, easy, Blackburian, if I have this right, it has a yellow neck; Bay Breasted, I learned that one this year, no idea how to id the Parula.  But going out and seeing and trying to identify the warbler is the only way to learn and I will keep trying.

We finally got up to the ridge (opposite the trail to the bridge), we were all looking at this beautiful Bay-breasted Warbler and out comes Martha and Colin.  Martha tells us what birds were in that area, we did get to see all the species except Palm.  We walk a bit further and Colin shouts to us Wilson's, we all rush over and yeah we did not see it.  He moves on and shouts again Wilson's, yeah we did not see it.  Then Colin said he heard then saw a Least Flycatcher, we all got to see it.  Colin then starts talking to us about genus, Martha said to me, when I wake up at 2;30 a.m. and I can't get back to sleep, I ask Colin to tell me about genus and I fall right to sleep.  Barb C. was determined to find the Wilson's Warbler so she pished and pished and out it came and it was so cooperative, just made sure most of us saw him.  Not sure if Bill got to see it however. 

We spent a good deal of time on the ridge, because it was hopping with birds.  We finally decided to go back to the vehicles to get some water.  Carol and Alan went down to the water, returned to report one Spotted Sandpiper and many Mallards.  Bill, Barb, Barbara and I went to the water, no Sandpiper. 

We walked the path to the bridge.  There were a couple of Mallards there, looking for handouts.  Nothing from us, there is plenty to eat from nature.  Bill and I had a discussion about one of the 'Mallards' and we decided it was a Black Duck.  Two ladies and a boy & girl came along to feed the ducks.  I spoke to the little boy and asked if he could see differences in the two ducks.  No, he said, I said look at the bill, oh yeah a different colour. look at the tail, yeah one has white in it, look at the overall colour, yes he said one is lighter and the other is black.  I love teaching kids.  Now yes that bird could have been a hybrid, but that is far too advanced for a little kid.

I caught up to the group and they were looking at a bird, but I can't remember what it was.  Carol drew my attention to the House Wren singing and we walked over to see if we could locate it, we did.  Such adorable little birds.  Going to the outlook we came across about 2 dozen turkeys.  I like to tease Bill about Wild Turkeys, asking him if he wanted to lead the group, nope.  I just walked toward them clapping my hands and they left. Looking out over Mud Lake we saw more Wood Ducks, a Hooded Merganser and Great Blue heron right in front of us.  All of a sudden it takes off making a rather very hoarse call as it flew off.   We met the same group of 4 (two moms and a boy and a girl) and he told me he was afraid of the turkeys, I told him to walk and clap and he did.  I guess he had reason to be nervous, the Tom turkey was bigger than him.

We  walked toward the bridge and those Wild Turkeys took over the path.  There were people at the other end waiting for the Turkeys to move and there was a group of people behind us waiting for those darn turkeys to move off the trail.  I was raised on a poultry farm as you all have heard before and we had turkeys.  I always thought turkeys were stupid.  I again walked with confidence and clapped my hands rather loudly and those turkeys moved into the woods.  At the bridge there were more Wood Ducks and a Muskrat chewing on some vegetation totally ignoring us humans.

Walking back to Cassels Road, we met a woman with a field guide in her hand, I thought good luck with that, the guides just don't do justice with those confusing fall warblers, but she was trying.  We checked out the ridge again and it was totally quiet.

Time to head for the Mandarin to celebrate the 150 years Bill and Barb C have been on this earth.  We were the last to arrive -- 15 or so minutes late.  But right on time if you think of it as birders time!!!!!!!  We all had a lovely time catching up with friends we had not seen in a while and just chatting to those we see regularly.  I believe a good time was had by all.











































Species Noted
  1. Wild Turkey
  2. Ring-billed Gull
  3. Magnolia Warbler
  4. Bay-breasted Warbler
  5. Nashville Warbler
  6. Cape May Warbler
  7. Yellow Warbler
  8. Black & white Warbler
  9. Yellow-rumped Warbler
  10. Common Redstart
  11. Wilson's Warbler
  12. Northern Parula
  13. Blackburnian
  14. Black-capped Chickadee
  15. Double-crested Cormorant
  16. Downy Woodpecker
  17. Hairy Woodpecker
  18. Pileated Woodpecker
  19. Baltimore Oriole
  20. American Robin
  21. Black-crowned Night Heron
  22. Wood Duck
  23. Mallard
  24. Black Duck
  25. Great Black-back Gull
  26. American Goldfinch
  27. Purple Finch
  28. Cedar Waxwing
  29. Song Sparrow
  30. Eastern Kingbird
  31. Least Flycatcher
  32. Eastern Wood Pewee
  33. Eastern Phoebe
  34. Canada Goose
  35. Osprey
  36. Northern Cardinal
  37. European Starling
  38. Red-winged Blackbird
  39. Red-breasted Nuthatch
  40. Great Blue Heron
  41. Spotted Sandpiper
  42. House Wren
  43. Hooded Merganser
  44. White-breasted Nuthatch
  45. Merlin
  46. Mourning Dove
  47. Belted Kingfisher
  48. Northern Flicker
  49. Warbling Vireo
  50. Red-eyed Vireo
  51. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
It pays to have  more people on the outing, translates into more eyes and ears, the list is always much better.

Critters Seen
  1. Raccoon
  2. Muskrat


No comments:

Post a Comment