Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Wakefield Cemetery Trail

August 24, 2010 9:30 am

Today I hiked from P17 in Gatineau Park to the summit of the trail behind the Wakefield cemetery as research for a scouting event.

I heard no birds until on the road leading from the Wakefield Mill to the cemetery. A lot of twittering caused me to stop and pish. Both American Redstarts and a Chestnut-sided Warbler put in an appearance. As I was timing the hike, I hurried on after snapping a few photos. It was quiet the rest of the way to the summit, where I had nice views of the surrounding village and fields, and checked out rappelling sites. I took the other wooded trail down on the other side of the cemetery

Once again, I heard some birds squeaking. I pished and saw a Golden-crowned Kinglet, that refused to come in. However, a number of warblers did show interest, particularly a Black and White. I also caught glimpses of a Black-throated Green and a Northern Parula. Not bad for a non-birding outing!

No comments:

Post a Comment