Thursday, August 23, 2012

Shirley's Bay Shorebirds

August 22, 2012

There were lots of reports from Shirley's Bay, so I went over in the afternoon for a look myself.

At the parking lot, I saw a White-breasted Nuthatch, three Double-crested Cormorants and a Mallard.

There were some serious photographers on the ridge, later joined by Heather.  We could not finds the Buff-breasted Sandpiper, but saw Stilt Sandpipers, lots of Lesser Yellowlegs and some Greater.  A Merlin flew in to scatter the flocks.



There were three or four Northern Shovellers, a Green-winged Teal, a female Northern Harrier, Great Blue Heron and a Great Egret.

A fly fisher regaled me of tales of the 40-50 inch Gar Pike that he catches at this very spot.

I returned to the parking lot to find a Common Raven making quite a racket and showing off the red inside it's mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment