Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Northern Goshawks

May 8, 2014

A few weeks ago, Stew had posted on Naturelist that his Goshawks were back.  Naturally, I asked him about a visit, and he suggested early May.

I arrived shortly after 9 am to the sounds of White-throated Sparrows singing up a storm on a beautiful day. 

It's a good thing that Stew knew where the nest was, as we hiked a few hundred metres though the bush.  The female was on the nest, and the male was making quite a racket nearby.

Stew took me on another trail, and when we came back, the female was off the nest, and both birds were calling.  Stew said that he would leave while I hid to see if the female would return to the nest.  I could see the male in the poplars behind the nest tree and hear the female calling.  The only other sound was the singing of many Ovenbirds.

After a while, the female flew in beside the male, then the male flew over my head screaming - busted!  I knew it was no use staying , so I headed back to Stew's, passing two Garter Snakes on the trail.  We had a coffee together, then listened to the Field Sparrows from his back porch.


It was a privilege to have this opportunity, and I promised Stew that I would not divulge the location.











No comments:

Post a Comment