Monday, November 16, 2009

Rideau River Park between the Tennis Club and the Queensway

Nov 13, 3:00 p.m.

I just stopped in for a quick look for the Barrow’s Goldeneye. I failed to remember that the sun is in a poor position for photography at this time of day.

I parked on Queen Mary and headed upstream towards the Queensway. There were very few ducks on the river, besides Mallards. Nevertheless, near the Queensway, I spotted a small group of goldeneye with a male Barrow’s among them. I tried to slither down the bank for a closer photo, but flushed them all and saw them fly downstream. I went down to the rapids by the Tennis Club and met Bruce & Ben Di Labio, who were looking for the hybrid (not found). There were a lot more ducks here, including scaup and Hooded Mergansers, both in the rapids and below. But I could not relocate the Barrow’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment