Thursday, July 21, 2011

Rare Bird Alert - Western Meadowlark

July 21, 8:30 am

Ray Holland spotted this rarity on July 20, and Bruce Dilabio reported it to OntBirds.  Jeff Skevington checked before work, and it was still there in the early morning at the corner of Panmure and Upper Dwyer Hill Roads.  I also got an email from Tony Beck that his group was going for it, so I jumped in the car and headed straight there.

When I arrived, Tony had it in the scope.  It was a little distant for photos and it soon went down from the wire to the meadow.  But it came back to a fence post, and after having good looks, we decided to stalk close for photos.  It did not disappoint.

Ben and Tony also heard an Upland Sandpiper, then Tony spotted one flying over.  Tony also got an Eastern Meadowlark in the scope for us for distant views.

The group was off to Constance Creek, but I headed home via Upper Dwyer Hill Road, looking for Upland Sandpipers.  I saw none, but did get another Eastern Meadowlark (which flushed as I got out of the car), and an American Kestrel.  Not bad for a short outing!

No comments:

Post a Comment