Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Let's Do It Again - Mud Lake and Andrew Haydon Park with JC Brding

 August 30, 2022



Birding Report by Jane Burgess

Well Monday night I screwed up.  I sent an email to Bill and Sami indicating the time and a text message to Louise and Ken.  Sami was quite concerned about the weather prediction and so I sent another email indicating I would send each a message at 6 a.m. which I did.  Sami texted me to say he and Lynne would arrive around 7:00, I texted back birding 7:30 but I assume you mean 8:00, he wrote back to say I emailed the time as 6:30.  I was able to correct that error with Sami & Lynne.  Barbara B. sent me a text at 6:40 to say they were at Mud Lake, oh I felt so bad.  I apologized and said I would get there as fast as I could which ended up about 7:15.  Bill reported that it was rather dark when they arrived but they did see a few birds.  Everyone arrived by 7:30.

We went up to the ridge and the first warbler seen was a beautiful Black-throated Green Warbler, absolutely no problem identifying him.  There were not a lot of insects about nor birders for that matter. Next bird was a young American Redstart, we saw quite a few of them.  We did not have to share the ridge for at least an hour.  Again lots of Yellow-rumped warblers and today I did not necessarily have to wait until they turned around to show me their yellow butt.

There were several variations in the Cape May, but those stripes sure help with ID.  Black & White Warblers never change, I think we saw four of them.   The Blackburnian Warbler could have been a bit more cooperative, high up on a dead tree top shared with a Cedar Waxwing, then they disappeared to be replaced by a pair of Cape May Warblers.

The Nashville Warbler and the Tennessee Warbler cause me confusion, not the birds as such, but the name.  I know one has a gray head and white around the eye with a yellow belly and I have to remember it is a Tennessee. No, no, no it is Nashville that is colorful and the drab one is Tennessee.  I will have to think of something to get the name correct in my head. 

Another birder told us there was a Wilson's Warbler on the ridge and two ladies with tripods were photographing it, of course when we got there, they said they saw it ten minutes ago.  Bill and I did not have to wait very long, we saw the beautiful Wilson's Warbler perched on a branch in the open for all of 2 seconds.  But I saw it so well and there was no doubt it was Wilson's - quite yellow with a little black cap.  It was good we saw it on the ridge because we were looking down at it and could easily see the black cap.  Bill is far more patient than me, he waited a bit and the Wilson's came out again.  Such a beautiful little bird.

I am very happy to report that warbler identification was much easier today, but don't get me wrong, it was not easy.

There were many Eastern Phoebe's around, I saw just one Scarlet Tanager and one Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  Bill photographed a House Finch, I never saw it.

We were looking at this Cape May and Lynne said what is that sound?  Common Ravens warming up their voices!!!

We were on Cassels Road near where we saw the Yellow-throated Vireo last week;  Barbara and I saw a bird with a very yellow throat, no idea what species, but it was okay because Barbara had taken a photo. Later,  Bill identified it  as a Northern Parula.  I will have to work harder at being able to identify a Northern Paula on the fly!! challenging...but learning is not always easy. 

We heard a very unhappy Osprey calling.  Now I will repeat Ken's "story",  probably a Jaeger was harassing it, talking about dreaming in technicolor.  The normal summer range for a Jaeger is way up north.  The Osprey was very vocal for a while, then turned its attention to fishing.

Lynne, Sami and Louise left us  to go check out Andrew Haydon Park.  Sami called to say basically the same birds that we saw last week were there today.

Around 11:00 we decided it was time to move on.  Ken went off to submit his passport application, Bill, Barbara and I went to Andrew Haydon.  The Caspian Tern was still there sitting with a flock of  Ring-billed Gulls, I wonder if  it's having an identity crisis?  This week there was a Pectoral Sandpiper and Lesser Yellowlegs there.

We chatted for a bit in the parking lot and decided it was time to call it a day.  Home by lunch.

We had no rain, it was a bit muggy but then we would get a cool breeze, so we lucked out weather wise.






































Species Noted
  1. Black-crowned Night-heron
  2. Pied-billed Grebe
  3. Wood Duck
  4. Mallard
  5. Gray Catbird
  6. Osprey
  7. Yellow-rumped Warbler
  8.  Double-crested Cormorant
  9. Ring-billed Gull
  10. Black-throated Green Warbler
  11. American Redstart
  12. Nashville Warbler
  13. Wilson's Warbler
  14. Cape May Warbler
  15. Blackburnian Warbler
  16. Black & White Warbler
  17. Scarlet Tanager
  18. American Goldfinch
  19. Common Raven
  20. Warbling Vireo
  21. Cedar Waxwing
  22. American Crow
  23. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
  24. Canada Goose
  25. American Robin
  26. Belted Kingfisher
  27. Tennessee Warbler
  28. Northern Parula
  29. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
  30. Downy Woodpecker
  31. Red-eyed Vireo
  32. Eastern Phoebe
  33. Blue Jay
  34. Northern Cardinal
  35. House Finch
  36. Philadelphia Vireo
  37. Least Flycatcher
  38. Magnolia Warbler
  39. Palm Warbler
  40. Song Sparrow
  41. Great Blue Heron
  42. Great Black-backed Gull
  43. Great Egret
  44. Caspian Tern
  45. Least Sandpiper
  46. Semipalmated Sandpiper
  47. Semipalmated Plover
  48. Black Duck
  49. Blue-winged Teal
  50. Pectoral Sandpiper 
  51. Lesser Yellowlegs
  52. Spotted Sandpiper
  53. European Starling




No comments:

Post a Comment