Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Navan to Vankleek Hill with JC Birding

January 12, 2022





Birding Report by Jane Burgess

We met up at Ken's place. I was hesitant to drive because when I took the off ramp from the Queensway, I slid through three lanes - thank goodness there were no cars in the lanes - then when I righted the car, I slid toward the car in front of me.  Ken said no you should drive just to get your confidence back.

Off we went to the Navan area in search of Snowy Owls, raptors and Gray Partridge.  We checked out French Hill, Reginald, Giroux, but no Snowy Owls.  At the corner of  Giroux and Colonial we stopped at a feeder and got the usual suspects - Dark-eyed Junco, Mourning Dove, Tree Sparrow, House Sparrow and a Hairy Woodpecker.  

Okay there were several reports of Gray Partridge, we drove to Heuvelman Road and slowly did the area a couple of times and no Gray Partridge.

Ken suggested we take the country roads to VanKleek Hill and try to get the Harris's Sparrow.   Ken had previously got the sparrow and knew exactly what house it was at.   Sure why not. See the photo of the route we took.  

My goodness, we saw about 200+ Wild Turkeys on our drive to and from Vankleek Hill.  I don't think I have seen so many in one day, except when I lived with my parents and my Dad raised turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas.   We saw several flocks of Snow Buntings and at one stop they were most cooperative landing on a long, large irrigation system.  So when they got it in their minds to fly, they would just fly out from the system toward the field and then come back and land a bit further down.  

Somewhere on the route we stopped because we saw an owl, was it fake or real, out came the scope.  Bill took a look and said fake, oh how do you know?, oh says Bill the wire on the top of its head.  Check out the photo.

We stopped because a small bird was sighted flying across the road.  Once out of the vehicles we saw the reason why, on the other side of the road, there was a house with lots of feeders.  Bill spotted a Common Red Poll, unfortunately for me I did not see it. While walking back to the car, Ken and Bill spotted a fast flying bird flying toward the trees, Merlin? yes, said Bill, Merlin.  Ken stayed on the bird and saw that one Merlin became two.  Great.  We stopped at the location Ken had seen the Gray Partridges, nope note there.

We got to the house where the Harris's Sparrow was reported.  Without getting out of the car, we saw Black-capped Chickadees, White-breasted Nuthatches, Downy Woodpecker, House Sparrow and American Goldfinch.  The homeowner invited us onto his property, because he had several feeders at the back of the house.  We all got out, cameras in hand.  Lots of sparrows flying to and from the feeders including at least one White-throated Sparrow along with all the species we saw at the front of the house.  At one point Ken says there it is beside the feeder near the hedge.  Yes I saw it.  I was pretty cold, the temperature was -12, but the humidity was 75%, making it feel colder.  I went to sit in the car to warm up.  Ten minutes later Barb, Bill and Ken joined me, with happy faces, they all saw it really well and were able to take photos of it.

On our return, we decided to take the route that included St. Isidore, specifically we wanted to check out 19, 20 and 21 roads for Snowy Owls.  While scanning the fields on 19, Ken says what's that,  2 Bald Eagles being pursued by Common Ravens.  Good sighting, I always like seeing Bald Eagles.

We drove to almost the end of 19, when we saw 4 vehicles parked, sure sign of a Snowy Owl.  Out in the field (I wonder if they asked permission) were 4 or 5 people taking photos of a Snowy Owl in flight (mmm I also wonder if the owl was being baited).  We drove to the end of 19 and saw a Snowy Owl on a fence post on Desnoyers Road.  Lots of photos.  Then we drove to Ste Rose and found another Snowy Owl, and finally another was seen flying on 20 and it very nicely landed on a utility pole.  When we got out of the vehicles, we could hear it calling, I don't think I have ever heard Snowy Owls calling before. 

It was about 4:00, time to go home.  Bill very nicely offered to drive Ken home as I had a zoom call at 6:00.  I arrived home shortly after 5:00, enough time to make dinner. 

Good day - 2 Merlin, 2 Bald Eagles. 3 Red-tailed Hawks, 4 Snowy Owls and 1 Harris's Sparrow.  And so many Wild Turkeys.



























Species Noted
  1. American Crow
  2. European Staring
  3. Rock Pigeon
  4. Dark-eyed Junco
  5. Mourning Dove
  6. American Tree Sparrow
  7. House Sparrow
  8. American Goldfinch
  9. Hairy Woodpecker
  10. Downy Woodpecker
  11. Blac,-capped Chickadee
  12. Wild Turkey
  13. Snow Buntings
  14. Blue Jay
  15. Common Raven
  16. Red-tailed Hawk
  17. Common Red Poll
  18. Merlin
  19. White-breasted Nuthatch
  20. Harris' Sparrow
  21. Bald Eagle
  22. Snowy Owl


No comments:

Post a Comment