Thursday, January 20, 2022

Northern Hawk Owl and Winter Finches with JC Birding

 January 20, 2022







Birding Report by Jane Burgess

Our goal today was to see the Hawk Owl.  Nadine very nicely gave me the coordinates for the owl, the meet up place was the road beside the park.  We arrived before Ken, Bill got out of his vehicle and did an initial scan of the park and saw nothing.  Because of the snow fall on Monday all the paths were full of snow.  I phoned Ken and he indicated he was minutes away.  As he drove up, he kept on driving right past us - so maybe this was an indication of how the day would go.  I called him again and asked where are  you now, he asked where we were, well you drove right past us.  We all got out of the vehicles and discussed our strategy at finding the Hawk Owl, like who wants to walk in snow up to their waists.  So after the strategy was decided we headed back to the cars..  I turned around and the Hawk Owl had been looking at us the whole time.  Duh  It was not in the park but on a tree in the residential area opposite the park.  Well that was easy.

So we started taking photos, but the sun was not quite right, so we walked east a bit and took more photos. I suggested someone knock on the guy's door, but the angle was wrong, so that idea hit the garbage.  We walked east and took more photos.  Barbara said why not walk into the field, none of us particularly wanted to try it, so off the wanderer (Barbara) went, the shortest one of us.  We followed, I must say she had a terrific idea because the sun and the angle was so much better.  Turning around to go back, yeah I fell into the snow, Bill took my camera, then I got up.  I never thought I would worry about such things as a camera.

So where to next, we did not expect finding the Hawk Owl to be so easy.  Ken and Bill deliberated and it was decided to go up to the Gatineau airport, Mayo and the Foret-la-Blanche area.  Well we drove to the Gatineau airport not seeing a single bird. A Rough-legged Hawk had been reported at the airport, but we did not see anything.  Drove and drove some more without seeing anything special.  Bill glanced in the rear view mirror, no Ken.  How did we lose Ken, thank goodness for cell phones.  Ken, where are you?  His answer was he dropped his sandwich and had to deal with it. (It was not close to lunch, but maybe it was a late breakfast).  We waited and he caught up to us.

Barbara says Wild Turkey on your left, a small flock of them.  One of the photos shows its nictitating membrane over the eye.  The purpose of this membrane is it helps keep the eye moist and clean while guarding it from wind, dust and other hazards.  We took some photos and Bill finally said really they are just turkeys. So off we went.

We stopped at a sign called Rose Bush Corner, apparently a heritage sight.  We stopped to look at this guy charging his car motor when we saw one black rabbit, then another, then another.  I think we saw at least 5 and we came to the conclusion the guy raised rabbits.  We took the road to the right and drove not too far, when I decided to open the window a bit so I could hear, yes I heard a bird and then Bill saw a bird  at the same time on the road -- lucky us a male and female Red Crossbill.  Out we went and took photos, the birds were very cooperative.  When they flew from the road they went to the fence and then back to the road.   When we were done with taking photos, we noticed no Ken, (guess we were quite focused) how the heck did we lose Ken.  So we turned around to the place with the rabbits and then turned left to the sign Rose Bush Corners, no Ken anywhere.  Turned around and instead of turning right we went straight ahead, We got Purple Finch, Pine Siskin and a Ruffed Grouse (super cooperative), but we did not find the human species called Ken.  What do we do? 

Okay he knows where we will plan on having lunch so off we went to Foret-la-Blanche for lunch.  When we drove in, thinking Ken would be there, No Ken.  Barbara and I wondered if the place was open or if there were outdoor latrines.  Yes outdoor latrines, a welcome site.  We decided it was just too cold to eat outside (-18 with a wind-chill of -26).  We are almost done having lunch and guess who drives in Ken.  Like he was not worried or lost, I know I would be, big fear getting lost.  You might wonder why I did not phone or text him, absolutely no cell coverage, cause I called and called and texted many times.  I think I was more worried than him.

Good thing was he got 'lost', because he added to our list of species, Hairy Woodpecker, American Goldfinch, Red-breasted Nuthatch,  Pine Grosbeak and Common Redpolls.  Darn, he got a Pine Grosbeak and Redpolls.  New strategy, let's follow Ken to where he saw the birds we had not.  Not far from the gate we stopped and we saw a medium sized flock of Common Redpolls.  We stopped at a place not far from where the Black rabbits were seen.  Good birds -- Evening Grosbeak, Dark-eyed Junco, Black-capped Chickadee and a very colorful fellow who lived there.  He came out to see what we were doing.  Do you mind if we photograph your birds, Oh no go right ahead.  He was quite friendly and talkative.  I personally did not pay too much attention to him, until I was satisfied I had seen all the birds.  He showed us this blue green egg that came from his Ameraucana hens.  Well that got me interested, he said they lay 3 or 4 eggs per week not like the 'normal' hens that lay every day and last no more than 2 or 3 years.  These birds last twice as long.  They come in various colors.  Then he told me he raised chickens and could get them up to 6 pounds in 7 weeks, yes I said hormones.  No, they are constantly doing research and breeding them so they grow faster and bigger in a shorter period of time.  (Forgive me, my poultry farm life is showing)  At some point in the conversation, I asked if he would mind showing the Ameraucanas to me.  Off we went, Barbara following.  I was deep in conversation - Mr. Colorful's diet is primarily made from what he grows or raises on his farm.  He also produces enough to share with his three married daughters. When we got to the hen house, he opened the door and I saw two types of hens - the Ameraucanas and Rhode Island Reds.  I took a photo of the Ameraucana, the hens have a very small comb, while the Rhode Island Reds are larger.  The hens I photographed he called purple, okay they did not look purple to me.  When I turned around to come back, Barbara was in the snow, she fell off the deck, I did not even hear her.  It seems Bill took a photo before she got up from where she fell, of course she handed him her camera first.  I am sorry I did not take a photo of the colorful character, when he smiled he had only one tooth, obviously he did not have a dental plan!

Off we went following Ken, I asked Bill to stop because I thought I saw an owl in a far off tree, okay we turn around, drive a bit then we turn around again.  I saw what I thought was an owl. Barbara took a photo. Remember it was far away -- it was a 'snow' bird.  Great imagination.  Ken had turned around to join us, but we said it was a snow bird.

We said our goodbyes, Ken had to stop somewhere for gas.  We could see him in the distance and then we could not.  Hopefully he found the gas station.

We saw our last bird in downtown Gatineau -- Rock Pigeon.

Good winter birding day.  Not a lot on our list but I think at least 6 of them are really quality birds.

































Species Noted
  1. Northern Cardinal
  2. American Crow
  3. Blue Jay
  4. Common Raven
  5. Wild Turkey
  6. Red Crossbill
  7. Purple Finch
  8. Pine Siskin
  9. Ruffed Grouse
  10. Hairy Woodpecker
  11. American Goldfinch
  12. Red-breasted Nuthatch
  13. Pine Grosbeak
  14. Common Redpoll
  15. Black-capped Chickadee
  16. Dark-eyed Junco
  17. Evening Grosbeak
  18. Rock Pigeon



No comments:

Post a Comment