Wednesday, April 7, 2021

Petrie Island to Alfred Lagoons with JC Birding

 April 7, 2021


Text by Jane


Bill had texted me to say the fields off of Milton were all dried up and the geese had left.  Change the plans.

I got to Petrie Island well before the meet up time, the first thing I noticed was a very large floating fish structure to the east side of the causeway.  Have to say it certainly did not appeal to me and I thought it quite spoiled the view of the river.  Not a lot on the water, mainly Mallards, lots of Red-wing Blackbirds ( I saw one female and all the rest were males), Song Sparrows and two Killdeer.  I walked south and played American Bittern hoping I would see or hear one, but no.   The weather was cool maybe 2 degrees and a bit of a mild wind blowing, a coat was definitely needed.


Barb, Bill and Barbara came at the appointed time, Bill walked north and came back and told us there were Ring-necked ducks.  We discussed that large floating fish a bit and then got in the cars and drove over the bridge.  Bill stopped and got out of the car, he saw a beaver swimming and wanted to take a few photos.

The walk in the woods was not all that productive but pleasant - more Song Sparrows, Hairy and Downy Woodpecker, Common and Hooded Merganser and two American Tree Swallows.  We walked back to the cars listening to Black-capped Chickadees singing "Hi Sweetie".  Barb said her goodbyes (she had to leave early to give her dog medication as he had a whole bunch of teeth removed the day before).  Her parting comments were, see some Turkey Vultures.

What bird did we see driving to Alfred Lagoons -- two Turkey Vultures.  Good call Barb.  We saw a Northern Harrier as we drove Peat Moss Road.  But the best surprise was waiting for us at the lagoons -- Snow Geese - we estimated about 10,000 of them.  I thought when I saw them two weeks ago at Cobbs Creek, that was the last time I would see Snow Geese until the fall.  Always good to be wrong.  We watched from the road and then drove into the lagoon area, the Snow Geese flew up in the air and then around a bit like they do and then landed.   It is always a treat to watch Snow Geese, I have said it before and I will say it again, they are so magical to watch.

We finally made our wait to the viewing stand and the east cell had virtually no birds in it -- a few American Wigeon and Gadwall but the west cell that was a different story.  We saw Gadwall, American Widgeon, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, Northern Pintail, Shoveller and to Bill's delight Redhead.  A Common Raven flew over, landed then walked on the perimeter of the east lagoon. I love Alfred Lagoons, but I was getting cold, I said to Bill I am going back to the car, turning it on to warm up.  I did not have to do that, because it was so warm already.  Barbara took out a stool and started taking more photos, once again the Snow Geese lifted up and did their thing, then landed back in the water.

While having our lunch, Ken phoned wanting to know where we were.  After some discussion I said we would meet him on or around the Russell road area.  Barbara had never been to the Alfred bog so we headed in that direction.  We stopped because we saw a Northern Harrier, not sure if it was the same one we had seen hours previously.  At the end of Peat Moss Road, there is an abandoned barn, I stopped to take a photo and I noticed four Turkey Vultures perched on the roof.  Over the years I have noticed the vultures tend to be drawn to this barn.  Perhaps they nest there, who knows.  I am not going to investigate.  I once went in to check out a vultures nest when I was in Texas on my first birding trip.  To say it smelled is not a strong enough word, maybe reeked and I was brought up on a farm.

When we entered the path to the bog, we heard a bird singing loudly, but we could not find it, Bill went pack to the road to see if he could see it, no luck.  We walked the short boardwalk, played various songs, no answer.  I got to the road first and so I walked over to where the trees and the fields meet, to see a group of maybe 10 Wild Turkeys.  I watched, they were nervous of my presence and I was far away from them.  It was interesting to watch them go into the woods, each taking a turn to fly over the stream separating the woods and the field.  Well the last one obviously one who walked to the beat of a different drum, because he waded through the water.  

Got another call from Ken who was on Rockdale and he had just seen two Northern Harriers doing their courtship flying.

We took the scenic route to Bourget, hoping to see some different species -- Rock Doves!!  We got to Bourget and proceeded to Cobbs Creek.  Well the property around the creek was pretty well dried up, we drove over the bridge to find Snow Geese -- all 5 of them.

Ken called and we decided we would meet at the park in Cheney.  Perfect timing, I saw him drive in and we followed closely behind him.  He got out and walked with purpose to the path, that was maybe 10 metres long, to see a Song Sparrow.  While we were  chatting and a Merlin flew by.

We decided we would check out the creeks off Saumure, but it yielded nothing.  There was a cat  in the field who obviously was annoyed with our presence and it ran across the field, we watched in hopes it would scare something up.  No luck there. Bill and Barbara decided to leave us and Ken and I proceeded to Milton to check out the Long Pond.  There we saw lots of Canada Geese and two Northern Pintail.  I remarked to Ken, goodness the dandelions are out in full bloom, after seeing Guy P posting on Facebook, I realized the flowers were not dandelions, but Coltsfoot.  Thanks Guy for helping me without being there.










































Species Noted
  1. Common Grackle
  2. Red-winged Blackbird
  3. Mallard
  4. Canada Goose
  5. Killdeer
  6. White-breasted Nuthatch
  7. Song Sparrow
  8. American Tree Sparrow
  9. Ring-neck Duck
  10. European Starling
  11. Ring-billed Gull
  12. American Crow
  13. American Robin
  14. Black Duck
  15. Common Merganser
  16. Hooded Merganser
  17. Downy Woodpecker
  18. Hairy Woodpecker
  19. American Tree Swallow
  20. Black-capped Chickadee
  21. Northern Cardinal
  22. Turkey Vulture
  23. Northern Harrier
  24. Snow Goose
  25. Gadwall
  26. Wigeon
  27. Lesser Scaup
  28. Redhead
  29. Northern Pintail
  30. Northern Shoveller
  31. Bufflehead
  32. Common Raven
  33. Wild Turkey
  34. Rock Dove
  35. Mourning Dove
  36. Merlin


No comments:

Post a Comment