Friday, April 5, 2019

Great Gray Owl

April 5, 2019

On our recent Snow Geese trip to the St Lawrence, one of the group, Lynn, asked if I had seen the Great Gray Owls.  I was surprised because I had not heard of any this year.  She advised me to subscribe to the Ontario Owls Facebook page.  I did that and found many images of owls in the Ottawa area.  The only problem is the group does not disclose the location except in a general sense (Ottawa, or west Ottawa).
Having seen them with Tony in past years, I figured they would be in the Dunrobin area.  So we went back and forth on all the roads without seeing any.
When I got home I sent a note to a scouting friend who lives out there and said we had been in his neighborhood to look for owls.  He replied that he had seen groups of photographers on a certain road around dusk.  So off we went last night, even though it was cloudy with snow flurries; not ideal weather.

We arrived about 6:30 pm to find 4 or 5 other cars parked, waiting.  Soon, a bunch more cars arrived and so did the owl. Unbelievable.  The only person I recognized was Wilson Hum.  It seems these guys go out there every night.  We may try again if the sun ever shines.






No comments:

Post a Comment